Thursday 24 February 2011

Holding a Load

A problem that raises its head every so often is holding a load on a ram.
I don’t mean for a few minutes or even an hour I am talking about many hours or even days.
Holding a load for a short time can easily be done using a pilot operated check valve. This is probably the best valve because being a seated poppet they are less likely to leak although a little contamination under the seat can cause a problem.
On occasions I have been asked to close the ram off with ball valve, which I refuse to do.
Any leak across the piston can cause pressure intensification due to the ratio of the piston and rod area.
As far as I know there is no way of holding a load on a ram for long periods of time and it should be no surprise to raise a load one day only to see it down the next unless a mechanical locking mechanism is used.
I would like your views, maybe someone out there has other interesting ideas they can share.
Cheers
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment