Friday 25 March 2011

Hydraulics in Sailing

Around 30 years ago I joined a Hydraulic Engineering Company located in Southampton.
My manager told me that he did not want business from Farmers, Yachties or Mad Inventors because they took up lots of time without much in the way of profit.
Since then, I set up my own hydraulic business and for the last 15 years marine and yachting have been extremely important to my turnover. By the way, I also became one of those Mad inventors!
Since those early days I am amazed how popular hydraulics have become to yacht designers and I have produced systems for Bow and Stern thrusters, Vang, Windlass, Lifting and Canting keels for Open 60 racing and not forgetting boat lifters located in many marinas.
The racing yachts are of special interest where the demand for lightness and reliability are of prime importance and often have technically opposing constraints. For me the greatest fun and challenge is how we need to constantly push technology by using special materials like Titanium and Carbon Fibre coupled with the latest machining methods.
Unlike my manager, in those early days I see yachting as a most exciting and growing opportunity for fluid power.

No comments:

Post a Comment