Saturday 29 October 2011

What is maximum pressure?

These days we expect hydraulic pumps should be fully supported with detailed technical information ensuring that we use the pump in the correct application.
Often we have pages of stuff showing everything from displacement to recommended oil type.
I often find that the pressure duty is not well defined like what pressure can I safely generate without the pump falling apart. You will read descriptions like continuous, intermittent and peak.
Continuous speaks for itself but what about intermittent and peak, what does this description really mean.
Many years ago when I sold hydraulic components for a well known manufacturer the pumps had different ratings for industrial than mobile. For what I can only imagine were commercial reasons, the mobile pump pressures were much higher.
I have also used some pumps well outside their recommended pressure ranges (only for specific applications) and although not a practice I recommend I do wonder what technical basis manufacturers use to determine their pump pressure ratings.
I would like to see a graph with a direct correlation between pressure and life. I want to know that if I design a system that runs once a month for 15minutes at higher than normal pressure should I need to spend much more money on a more expensive pump.
Surely we should be able to get a better idea of pump life without always having to buy the highest spec pump or face the possibility of a bucket of scrap metal after just a few cycles.

Very best
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment