Wednesday 18 May 2011

Which pump?

When I first started out designing systems we had the choice between vane or piston pumps.
Gear pumps at that time were rather frowned upon and not readily available.
I haven’t used a fixed vane pump since I can remember and piston pumps only for occasions when I need high pressure or my customer is keen on quality/reliability rather than cost.
There is no doubt that the gear pump has become more popular but maybe our hydraulic group may not all agree with this trend.
Personally I will use a variable vane for those systems where I need to hold pressure for long periods with low pressure. The piston pump for higher pressure, long periods on pressure with big flows. The gear pumps for everyday low duty and competitively priced.
You will all have your own ideas for selecting the ideal pump and I would love to hear your views.
Very best
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment