Thursday 2 June 2011

How would you define a pump?

How would you define a pump?
A very simple question you might think especially for a hydraulic professional.
This was the simple question posed by a young graduate on Linkedin. Over 3 months later with over 100 comments it is still being debated with some veracity.
I was always taught that pumps produce flow and pressure is a restriction of flow. A challenge to that view is that there must be a force or pressure to move any mass, therefore fluid being a mass means that if there is flow from a pump there must be pressure. I have to agree to this observation and is irrefutable.
So why don’t hydraulic people acknowledge this pressure when we know that there must be some pressure , no matter how small?.
Some things we are taught are often accepted without challenge because with a subject like hydraulics at the beginning one is trying to cope with the overall understanding without thinking of challenging the basics. These concepts eventually become accepted and fixed in one’s own mind until one day someone challenges that view.
I will give you my opinion why we ignore/deny that pumps produce pressure. I believe that by acknowledge this inbuilt load/pressure in our” definition of a pump” will it make the concept clearer or more confusing especially to those with little knowledge of the subject? I believe the latter but more than that what extra benefit does it provide to the hydraulic engineer? I suspect very little.
We know that pumps have different efficiency values. We acknowledge this in our pump power calculations. No pump is 100% and it will be reduced by friction in bearings, running gear and of course the energy needed to push the oil through the pump (also leakage). In hydraulics we factor this into our calculations and because it is a relatively small force value we often tend to ignore it. Remember that hydraulics is used to move or rotate very large loads and as a percentage of these loads the force to push the oil through the pump is very small indeed.
In future then, now that I have given more thought to this issue, how will I describe a pump? I will likely make some adjustments based on whom I am speaking to. Those starting out in hydraulic or struggling with very basic knowledge I will stick to “pumps provide flow” and for those that require a more precise definition: “A pump is a device that forces fluid through its mechanical parts to produce flow” This is wordier but I think a more accurate definition but not sure that it changes much!
Very best
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment