Sunday 26 June 2011

Hydraulics are so simple?

I once had a customer who told me that there was nothing difficult about hydraulics and it was pretty simple stuff and hinted that my work was over rated. I smiled and obviously could not agree because the fascination of “Fluid power” is that no matter how long you work in the business you NEVER stop learning. These forums prove that and are great value to me for picking up other people’s tips and experiences.
I will like to briefly tell you of an experience I had a couple of years ago.
I designed a small system for a “Super Yacht” to control the transom door that turns into a platform at the stern of the boat with two polished stainless steel rams . (Very expensive stuff!)
I purchased a small DC pack with pump. Motor, control valve and reservoir. When I operated the system it worked beautifully for just a short time and then stopped. I checked everything, control signal, valve, but could find nothing wrong. I drained the tank and checked the pump and everything was in order. It would start work for a few minutes and then stop.
3 days later I had changed the pump, valve, housing and electric motor and I still the same problem. I felt that I should take up a different career (so did my customer)
I decided to remove the tank for the 10th time and I sat there staring at the stripped down parts. I ran my hand around the empty tank pondering the problem almost in a dream like trance. Suddenly my hand felt something strange and my attention quickly snapped into curiosity. I carefully picked away a piece of polythene about 50 mm square a piece of left over packaging. This would stick to the side of the tank (undetected) when empty and gently float off and cover my suction port when filled with oil.
It was a “wake up call” never think you know everything!
www.hydraulicbrain.com

No comments:

Post a Comment