Saturday 27 August 2011

Have hydraulic manufacturers become too arrogant?

I am sure that most of you will agree that getting new business and maintaining the existing is something that requires continued hard work. Most of the smaller businesses pay particular attention to giving good services and value their customers. I wish however I could say the same for the large manufacturers of hydraulic equipment. I am not sure if it would be a good idea to name and shame these companies but I guess that you might have a good idea of the ones I refer to.
I have some customers who buy branded products from me rather than deal direct. Not because I can save them money, in fact it’s likely it cost them more. It’s because they do not like dealing with the arrogant attitude so often associated with buying the parts they want. Comments like “You want it now, you must be joking, well if you don’t like 21 weeks delivery you can always go somewhere else!”
I notice that some of these companies do not even want to speak to us anymore. They hide behind a website with no means of contact other than an email address that they never reply to and finding a telephone number can take endless searching. I have been told by distributers that they also find it very difficult.
I rang a top brand servo manufacture for the name of someone who I could contact; I was told that the companies' policy was not to give out any names and that if I wanted I could send an email. The next time their rep knocks on my door or rings me up for an appointment you can guess what I will say to them!
We spend a great deal of time, effort and money trying to create a great experience for our customers as I am sure you guys do. We want our businesses to grow and be successful but some of these big companies have lost their desire or ability to give good service. Unfortunately for us we often have no choice but to continue to buy from them.
If you have had any experiences like me or disagree with my analysis I would love to hear from you.
Cheers
Bob

www.hydraulicbrain.com

No comments:

Post a Comment