Saturday 13 August 2011

Things you remember

Anyone with a long career in hydraulics, I am sure will remember those times when things went badly wrong and ended with a few sleepless nights. The one etched in my distant memory was an application for a hydraulic riveting system. The client need several pressures all quite set close to each other. On the face of it a very simple straightforward project. We tested the system in the workshop and all seemed well before delivering it to the customers factory.
Within a few days we had the first of many phone calls.
It seemed that without warning the system started screaming so loud that the workers had to cover their ears.
By the end of the week the power pack was back. We tried all sorts of things to resolve the problem and each thing we tried we thought it was fixed, only to discover that within a few days it would start playing up again with the ear shattering noise.
In the end we admitted defeat and re reimbursed the client in full.
For me, at the beginning of my hydraulic career it was a huge blow and I considered that maybe I was not cut out for a future in hydraulics.
But you eventually move on and get bad experiences behind you with more successful jobs. However when I come across an application with two Relief valves in the same circuit I feel that familiar sickness again envelope my being.
Regards
Bob

more on www.hydraulicbrain.com

No comments:

Post a Comment