Sunday 19 February 2012

Hydraulic design is like a day's fishing

When I was a small boy, nothing was more exciting than going for a day’s fishing. Not that I can remember catching much but it was the anticipation that it might just be the day when I would catch a whopper!
Many years later I now see how the experts do it and it is hardly surprising I caught very little. As a child I used the same method of fishing regardless of the conditions, location or the type of quarry I hoped to land.  Top fishermen plan their task and select the right equipment to suit the conditions.
If they get it wrong, at best they will catch very little and at worse loose or break their equipment because the fish was too large for the tackle they selected for the task.
Now let us consider the Hydraulic designer, he must also consider the task. What are the loads and speeds required?  Where will the equipment be used, (hot, cold, wet or dirty) and from a basket of pumps, valves, actuators and controls, select the right parts for the best result. Get the selection wrong, at best will not achieve the task and at worse cause significant damage to your customers equipment. Get it right and it’s as satisfying as catching the Whopper!
Good fishing.
Bob
More Hydraulics at www.hydraulicbrain.com                  

No comments:

Post a Comment